SEMERENKO Sergey Anatolievich
Head of the laboratory of plant protection
PhD in biology
Tel.: (861) 255-33-08 (ex. number 15-28)
83 years have passed since V.S. Pustovoit directly supported the establishment of the department (now, the laboratory) of plant protection. V.S. Pustovoit supervised a number of research areas in the 30s.
Over the years, the morphological and biological characteristics of development of diseases of sunflower, rapeseed, mustard, and soybean were studied in the laboratory. Dynamics of accumulation and harmfulness of main pathogens were determined. Species composition, biological characteristics and harmfulness of rapeseed, mustard, soybean diseases were studied.
The methods of inoculation of oil crops seedlings were offered. Concerning entomology, the biology and harmfulness of insect pests of sunflower, cruciferous crops, soybean and insect pests harming the main oil crops during storage were studied. A system of protection measures have been developed.
Since 1985, the laboratory has been conducting research on the oil crops seed treatment using biologically active composition (BAC). Annually, VNIIMK treats over 700 tons of oil crops seeds in the region's farms.
This technological measure was successfully introduced in the farms of the Krasnodar, Stavropol, and Rostov regions on the area of 1.5 mil hectares. Additional income per hectare of sunflower seeds in 2014 prices amounted to one and a half to two thousand rubles.
The main research directions of team of oil crops protection are as following:
- monitoring of phytosanitary condition of sunflower crops in the main regions of its cultivation;
- development of a system of protection measures against the diseases on sunflower crops;
- testing under production conditions of new and most efficient insecticides for sunflower seedling protection from wireworms;
- studying of the main biological characteristics of the development of a cotton bollworm, as well as the research on the most efficient chemical and biological means to control it.
The laboratory conducts a number of research on soybean, including phytosanitary monitoring of insect pests and diseases in breeding, seed growing and production crops. In addition, the laboratory conducts:
- phytopathological evaluation of soybean seeds and assessment of the osmotic pressure of the cell fluid of mycelium of fungi of the Fusarium genus;
- research on the most efficient insecticides against the main soybean phytophages;
- identification of the species composition of insect pests and diseases in various agroclimatic conditions of oil flax cultivation and the determination of their harmfulness;
- testing of the best tank mixtures for the treatment of oil flax seeds, as well as for protection of vegetative plants of crop from insects and diseases;
- study of the impact of elements of agrotechnology of oil flax cultivation on the phytosanitary condition of its crops.
The laboratory of plant protection received over 14 patents and invention certificates. In coauthorship with the leading scientists of VNIIMK, 4 monographs on the protection of oil crops from pests have been written and published, over 200 papers, including 22 guidelines, have been published. Each year, the laboratory employees participate in meetings, seminars and roundtable discussions that take place not only in the Krasnodar region but also all over Southern Federal District.
The laboratory pays great attention to the training of scientific personnel. In 20 years, from 1995 to 2015, the laboratory employees defended 15 PhD and one doctoral theses. The laboratory of plant protection offers services for phytoevaluation of seeds of oil crops, based on which it recommends the composition for presowing seed treatment against a complex of diseases and soil-inhabiting pests of oil crops seedlings; it also carries out seeds treatment. At the customer's request, the specialists of the laboratory of plant protection carry out the examination of oil crops fields for identification of phytosanitary condition and provide advice on the oil crops protection against diseases, pests, and weeds.